Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
Employment applications are available at all branches of the Public Libraries of Saginaw or you may click here for an application available in Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You’ll have to print it and fill it out, then take it in to any Public Libraries of Saginaw branch. Applications are kept on file for six months for review in the event of a vacancy.
LIBRARY CLERK SUBSTITUTES - ON-CALL ONLY
ZAUEL PT CHILDREN'S LIBRARY ASSISTANT
Library Volunteer Opportunities
A volunteer is identified as a person who performs duties or tasks for the Library without wages or benefits. Community Service workers shall serve under the same guidelines as other Library volunteers. The volunteers described in this policy are different from the Friends of the Library volunteers who are governed by their own policies and bylaws. Volunteers typically work between one and six hours per session. To be considered for volunteer opportunities, complete and submit the Volunteer Application form to any of our branches. Criminal background checks are done for those 18 years or older.
If chosen, you will be asked to complete a brief in-person or telephone interview and will receive an orientation including a tour of the building, introduction to library staff, and a copy of the volunteer policy. Receive specific job orientation and training from the supervisor of the department for whom the volunteer is assigned.
Not all opportunities are available at all times, however some of the tasks regularly performed by volunteers follow:
- Dust books and shelves/clean book covers - keep shelves neat and in order
- Assist with programs – prepping craft materials, assist with crowd control, help children with projects
- Summer Reading Programs - assist librarians with projects, record keeping Craft projects and materials needed for youth programs
- Assist with mass mailings (i.e. stuff envelopes)
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or Volunteer Coordinator
- Volunteers under the age of 18
- Young people ages 14 – 17 may apply to volunteer for the Library in positions for which they are qualified. They must have written parental permission and a work permit signed by their school counselor.